First you need to define the terms. So what is hosting ? Hosting (from English Hosting – hosting, receiving someone on your own territory) – in fact, this is a service to provide disk space for posting information on it on the Internet. If you translate this into a human language, then you get a powerful computer that works around the clock, seven days a week, three hundred and sixty-five days a year, is constantly connected to the Internet and which stores your website or your personal files.
What are the types of hosting?
According to the terms of its provision, cheap hosting It may be paid, but there is also a free hosting. Each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages. To begin with, let’s remember the saying that free cheese is only in a mousetrap. From here, even without knowing the realities of hosting, it can be concluded that the free hosting has significantly more disadvantages than advantages. Judging logically: that is, someone who bought a powerful computer, conducted the Internet to him, set up his work, pays for renting a room, pays for electricity, etc., and gives you the opportunity to use this computer without anything in return. This is hosting free. In more detail, on what the operator providing a free hosting can earn, we will consider in other articles. And then consider a few more categories for which hosting is determined.
So, according to the type of disk space provided to the client, hosting is divided into :
- Shared hosting. This is currently the most common type of hosting. It is fast, reliable and inexpensive. This hosting is designed for sites of low and medium traffic, small product catalogs, business card sites, personal pages, blogs and the like.
- Dedicated server . This type of hosting is designed for serious sites. One server computer to one specific large site. Such a server, depending on its projected capacity and speed of the Internet channel, can withstand up to 100,000 visitors per hour and is suitable for huge portals like msn.com.
- Virtual dedicated server. It looks like a dedicated server. Only one virtual server can be hosted by several virtual servers. Each of them is allocated the size of the traffic, the frequency of the processor, the amount of memory and a certain, limited disk space and so on. This type of hosting is suitable for very, very large sites.
We continue to divide the hosting into categories :
- Traffic division. Hosting is limited (and these restrictions are usually indicated by the providing party either in megabytes or gigabytes during the preparation and conclusion of the contract) and unlimited traffic.
- By limiting the speed of the server. That is, users will open your pages and download your files at a specific and provider-limited speed.
- By location: there are Ukrainian servers, and there are foreign servers. Often, on a foreign hosting you can post what is prohibited by the laws of your country. The winning side of Ukrainian hosting is unlimited traffic.